Staying Healthy…While Staying Inside
With many of us staying inside most days, especially during the winter months, managing a healthy weight can be more challenging than ever. We asked Dr. Galloway-Gilliam from our new Comprehensive Weight Management Clinic about some of the best ways to manage our weight when we’re spending most of our days indoors.
- Log food intake: Helps bring mindfulness to what foods are being consumed and in what quantities.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables: Grab a fruit or vegetable when you have the urge to snack. Try to avoid processed foods (convenience/comfort foods)
- Monitor your activity: use a pedometer to monitor your steps, check out YouTube videos that make it easy to do a workout indoors. We love these videos from The Great Slim Down Tai chi or chair yoga are other options that provide gentle movements that may also help with pandemic-related stress and anxiety. Also, try light exercises with resistance bands or weights.
- Take care of your whole health: Mental wellness is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, so is adequate sleep. Chronic, sustained levels of stress are detrimental to weight.
- Find guidance: Look for health and wellness or exercise experts that can help guide you through healthy activities.
About the Comprehensive Weight Management Center
The Comprehensive Weight Management Center will provide you with the most effective solution possible to address weight management in a way that fits your needs. Our care team includes Internal Medicine Physicians, Registered Dietitians, Certified Nurse Practitioner, specialized nurses, and surgeons who all work together to help you achieve your goals. The program also offers support groups and shared medical visits so you can gain additional support from other program participants. The Comprehensive Weight Management Center is also an American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) Center of Excellence.
Our multi-disciplinary team is here to partner with patients to create an individualized plan for weight management and to offer support and partnership along the way. The first step is to contact us at 612-873-6963 for an appointment or visit hennepinhealthcare.org/weightmanagement to learn more.